Day 9
I did it, I got a few more days into this post. I think we started to calm down on our picture taking a little bit. Day 9 was a split day. We spent the first half of the day in China, and then rode the train back to Hong Kong to spend New Years Eve with our friends Paul and Susan. In the morning we just walked around where we stayed at out hotel.
A Tai Chi in the morning never hurt anyone.
Then we walked across the bridge to "real" China. The streets of GuanZhou were filled with people selling stuff all over the streets, from grains, and roots-- to fish and other not so good looking things. I was having a hard time walking around the street markets because they have live animals that they kill for you right there so it is fresh. Not to be too unpleasant, but they had live turtles for sale to eat, scorpions, and even....BUCKETS OF LIVE SNAKES!!!! At first I did not notice them, and I was just rolling my luggage through the streets. I had been very careful with how I had been carrying my luggage because we wanted to preserve my bag and Chris had been carrying it any time I needed to pick it up so that it wouldn't hurt too much while we travelled. Well, as soon as I saw the Buckets of snakes I picked up my luggage and I was out of there!!!!! There was no way I was hanging around there! Chris thought it was the funniest thing. He said it was the fastest I had moved the whole trip. After that I hailed a taxi to take us to shopping area where there were no animals.
After walking around for a little bit we hopped back on our train to Hong Kong to meet up with our friends for a night out for New Years 2009!!
Once we got back it was time to get ready and go meet everyone. We were going to get dessert before going to see the fireworks over the buildings. It was supposed to be great.
After dessert we realized that we did not have much time to take the train back to Kowloon in time to see the fireworks. In fact we barely made it out of the Subway at all. All we got to see was this little measly firework because we were on the wrong island!!!
We were all really tired, so after that we went straight to our hotel for the night because the next day was a big day of traveling!
Day 10
Today we are traveling from Hong Kong to Korea with a short layover and then on to Japan!
We got to Japan late that night and stayed in a hotel close to the airport.
Day 11
The next morning our Japan adventure began!! Chris has a very good friend that he grew up with that lives in Japan, so he picked us up from our hotel and did some fun sightseeing with us. We started with a few Temples of course!! In Japan New Years is bigger than Christmas, so everyone was there for the New Years blessings!!
After that we went to a noodle house. As we were waiting Greg and Chris were playing with their iPhones. This little girl was so cute, she was so enthralled in watching them!
Next onto another Big Buddha! This is one of the biggest for standing or something. It is bigger than two statue of Liberty's!! Very big!!
That night we went out for Shabu-Shabu, which was very thinly sliced meats that we cooked in hot pots at our table, and then dipped in different sauces. We paid for a time slot and then you can eat as much as you want for that much time. So good!
After that we went back to Greg's house in the Suburbs of Tokyo. Such a good few days!
Great Asian Race Day 12 to be continued....
3 comments:
Yeah - day 9! I love hearing about your wild and crazy adventures!!
I just had to LOL at the KFC on the bikes. Yummy!...at least more so than live snakes and turtles...I just happened to visit some in our local pet store with my little boys. Oh the horror if I had suggested they were for dinner! :)
WOW you are having an experience of a lifetime!
Post a Comment