So it has been a VERY long time since Chris and I have gotten to do something we really love. Before we ever even dated, when we were just friends and I was dating his roommate (hee hee hee), we loved to go rock climbing together. Chris even proposed to me by attaching a ring to the carabiner at the top of a climb. But, unfortunately right after he proposed my shoulder doctors told me I was not allowed to rock climb because of the damage in my shoulder. 3 years, 2 shoulder surgeries, a back surgery and a move to a mountainless city, we went to a rock climbing gym to see how my shoulder would hold up. I was totally awful because I have no strength in my shoulder still, but it sure felt good to try. I only top roped some very easy climbs, because I was a little nervous on how it would go. I had a great time, and I am pretty sure we are going to keep going so that we can get into a little bit better shape since there is not much of the usual activities here in Houston, Texas that we have grown up loving. You do what you can right?
As you can tell I am doing a very easy climb, and not breaking much of a sweat, but believe me, my shoulder was feeling it!
Chris doing the same climb. It was a lot easier for him. He sped up it.
And just for fun, and for purposes of my memories, here is a glimpse at our climbing past and how we would like to be again:
Idyllwild, CA
This is our first climbing adventure together. Here he is belaying his friend Paul, and realized that there were knots in the rope so I am hurrying to take them out before he gets to that point in the rope. It was very bad, and we had a close call when Paul fell!! ALWAYS PUT YOUR ROPE AWAY CORRECTLY!! :)
This is after as we are doing a 3 pitch climb. I am belaying Chris.
Joshua Tree, CA
This was a fun trip!!! This was a few months before we actually started dating. We took a friend that was visiting from France to Joshua Tree, and had a great time!

Me belaying once again!

Chris tired after belaying me for once :)

This was one of my favorite climbs in Joshua tree. It was a little bit hard for me, and it took me awhile, but I finally did it, even after my fingers were frozen because the sun was going down. It could have been because Chris wouldn't let me down until I finished!
Mission Gorge, CA.
Last but not least, this is when Chris proposed to me. We actually didn't take these pictures. There was a guy there that was taking pictures for the website of this area of climbing, and he took the pictures. So not only is the climb recorded for us, but it is on the official website for these climbs! Perfect. Chris led this climb, and then wanted me to do the same one. When I got to the top there was a HUGE GAUDY "Diamond" ring attached to the carabiner. I almost fell off the rock in shock! It took me awhile to get my bearings, then on my way down, he stopped me half way down, hanging from the rope and proposed with the real ring. He let me down when I said yes. :)

This is after the proposal when Chris is climbing again.

Sorry if this post was boring, but it was fun for me to go down memory lane!



9 comments:
Those pictures are awesome. I wish I was half the climber you are. I haven't been since I was pregnant.
nice, what an adventure to do that. I have never done it wanted too but I have a fear of falling.
I love seeing the old pictures of you climbing. Won't it be nice when we have our perfect bodies?!
I love your proposal story. That is GREAT!!
Fun for me too! How fun to be back to something you love. I love hearing how he proposed! Cute!!! That is something I definitely do not have a talent for. :)
I do not have this talent! I loved reading this post though. Soemday I want to hear all about how you met....can you blog that for me??
That was an awesome post. I forget sometimes to post some history or background - I always love reading others things they have done. Thanks. You are awesome & that looks way fun.
I guess all that big wall belaying paid off! Good times. If you are interested you could check out the soviet strength program that I just did. It is a good get back in shape work out for climbing.
http://nuclimbing.com/?page_id=30
You guys are definitely my peeps and I miss you both.
I loved this!
Post a Comment